In another article we covered how Chinese Medicine can help reduce the duration and intensity of a cold if caught early (How To Stop The Common Cold In Its Tracks), but other natural therapies have much to offer too. In this article we look at homeopathy.
Homeopath Paula Webb explains, “Children tend to get more colds than adults, but recurrent colds, in children or adults, are usually a sign of a weakened immune system, perhaps due to stress or poor nutrition, and usually require constitutional treatment with a registered homeopath. However, in acute one-off cases, there are remedies which can be bought from Boots, Holland & Barrett and other large health food stores, or homeopathic suppliers such as Helios, Nelsons or Ainsworths”.
These are specific remedies recommended by Paula Webb – to be taken every 2 hours for up to 4 doses:
- Cold comes on suddenly, especially after exposure to cold, dry wind. Sneezing, burning throat, restlessness, symptoms worse at night Aconite 30c
- Cold comes on suddenly, with a high temperature, skin dry, hot, and burning, light hurts eyes, sore throat worse on right side, tickly cough, person very thirsty Belladonna 30c
- Cold comes on slowly with vague symptoms and a general feeling of being ‘under the weather’, mild fever if at all, person may be prone to nosebleeds Ferrum phos. 30c
- Cold rather like ‘flu, person feels sluggish and shivery, limbs chilly, aching, and heavy Gelsemium 30c
- Person more than usually irritable and critical, feels chilly, nose runs during day but becomes blocked at night Nux 30c
- Cold in early stages, sneezing worse in morning, catarrh like raw egg white, blocked nose, cold sores, person rejects sympathy and wants to be left alone Natrum mur. 30c
- Sweating, excessive salivation, sneezing, catarrh thick and yellowish-green, bad breath Mercurius 30c
- Person not at all thirsty but wants lot of attention and sympathy, lots of bland yellow catarrh Pulsatilla 30c
- Catarrh thick and yellowish-green, infection spreads to ears or to throat, which feels as if it has a splinter in it, person irritable, chilly, very sensitive to draughts, breaks out in smelly sweats Hepar sulph. 30c
- Cough, headache made worse by coughing, dry mouth, person very thirsty, irritable, wants to be left alone, symptoms worse for slightest movement Bryonia 30c
Paula Webb her own private practice Helix Homeopathy. To make an enquiry or appointment please call 07963 555235 (9.30am-5.30pm Mon-Fri) or email Paula at: firstname.lastname@example.org